Select Language:
  • Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
  • Colour
  • A
  • A
Information, Advice and sources of support for young people in Suffolk

Information and advice if you have additional needs

If you have additional needs you may be wondering what extra support there is for you. There’s lots of great information across this site and on this page we outline some of the really useful bits.

On this page we cover

  1. Post 16 Transition Guide and The Local Offer
  2. I’m not getting the support I need – SENDIASS, Anglia Care Trust advocacy service
  3. Friendships and bullying – Support for bullying, hate crime and making new friends
  4. My health – Easy read guides on common health issues including sexual health and relationships.
  5. Quick links and useful websites – Travel Training, Befriending service, Local offer, Activities Unlimited
  6. Links for parents and carers
Throughout this site we use this yellow colour to highlight information for people with additional needs (SEND).
Here, young people talk about autism.
Do you have a brother or sister with additional needs? There's information and tips for you at YoungSibs.

What is the Post 16 Options Transition Guide?

The Transitions Guide provides information, advice and guidance on what’s available for you, if you are making a transition in education and training, health services, into adult social care services or being supported in the community. 

If you have been receiving SEN support at school or have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, this handy guide explains about:

  • types of support available
  • learning routes and qualification levels
  • funding options and benefit entitlements

“What is the SEND Local Offer?”

If you have special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities the Local Offer website can help you. 

Visit Suffolk’s Local Offer for local services, support and provision for children and young people with SEN and disabilities (SEND).

The website can help you find information about:

  • Schools and colleges
  • Traineeships and supported internships
  • Apprenticeships
  • Social care and health services 
  • Leisure activities

You will be able to see where these services are found in the county and the name of someone you can contact for information.

Some services will not always be suitable for every child or young person with SEND, but the website will tell you this.

If you’re unsure whether a service is right for you, contact the service and see what they can do to help meet your needs.

The Local Offer website is a work in progress, with services being added and updated all the time.


You can contact a Local Offer Advisor for help on 0345 606 1490.

“I’m not getting the support I need, who can I speak to?”

Suffolk SENDIASS – Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service

SENDIASS is a confidential and impartial information, advice and support service on issues related to Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).

It is free, easy to access and confidential.

Get in touch with them to see how they can help.

We can help children, parents and young people take part in decisions that affect their lives.


Suffolk Advocacy Service:

We are independent of your care givers, social worker and your school.

We are a confidential service unless we are worried about your safety or the safety of anyone else.

What is an Advocate?

An Advocate is someone who will make sure you are fully involved in decisions being made about your life by:

  • Listening to you, going to meetings with you and explaining things to you
  • Being on your side, helping you speak up and making sure your views are listened to
  • Helping you make a complaint if you are unhappy about your care

If you feel like your views aren’t being listened to or you need extra support you might find an independent advocate useful.

Do you need an independent advocate?

Pohwer provide an independent advocate for you, here is their leaflet and contact details: Suffolk Advocacy Service Children and Young Peoples Advocacy Leaflet (

When you get in touch you will be referred to someone in Suffolk who can come and chat with you and take it from there.

“I’m being bullied – who can help me?”

Young people with additional needs can experience bullying and hate crime more than young people without disabilities. Bullying and hate crime is best not dealt with on your own, if you can, find someone to speak to. Remember, it is not your fault!

Use the links below to find out more:

Bullying information – Easy read

Bullying and Hate Crime – Find out what a hate crime is, listen to other people’s stories and find out how to report it.

#Stopthehate – YPN Campaign against hate crime in Suffolk

Ease My Mind – Emotional Wellbeing Directory – Find support from free and confidential services.

Making friends and having relationships

One of the best ways to cope with bullying is to find nice people. The Safe and Supported page lists spaces to hang out and make new friends.

Try the befriending service. Read more on our page about friendships.

If you have a disability you can apply for a Disabled Persons Railcard, which entitles the holder to 1/3 off train travel and one person travelling with them.

Watch the inspiring video below about making friends in the community.

Geek retreat Ipswich. ACE Anglia video

Watch the video below. Ismail talks about peoples right to relationships, love and marriage.

My health

Looking after our health is really important – this includes our mental and physical health.

Browse the ‘My Body’ and ‘My Mind’ section on this website and use the links below to find out about some of the top topics:

Here are some useful websites you might like to visit:

“I am a parent/carer”

As well as the links on this page you might be interested in the following pages:



Share this

Page updated on February 20th, 2024 at 03:09pm