On this page we cover:
What is depression?
Depression affects anyone, at any time, for any reason. It’s a constant feeling of sadness that won’t go away.
Depression can affect:
- how you think,
- how you feel,
- how you behave towards family and friends.
You can’t always tell if someone is struggling with depression as they may not look depressed.
What does depression feel like?
You may notice these signs and feelings:
- Feeling hopeless
- No motivation to do things
- You can’t focus
- Sadness and low mood
- You have lost interest and enjoyment in the things that you normally like doing.
You might also experience aches and pains or feel anxious too.
This video captures the shared experiences of young people using their own words to explain what struggling with depression feels like.
For managing low mood and depression
These are some things you can do to improve your mood:
- Stay connected with family and friends.
- Do something you enjoy – can be small happy things – they all add up.
- Have a bedtime routine – go to bed and wake up at the same time.
- Eat healthier – food is mood.
- Keep active – with sport, going for a walk/run, or dancing!
- Express your feelings creatively – through art, a diary, poems, lyrics, and crafts.
- Look after yourself – take a bath, read a book, write a list, take a break, cook something nice for yourself.
Do you know? A 30 minute walk, 5 times a week, that raises your heart rate, has the same effect as an antidepressant but with no side effects! Read more about the 'Mind and Movement' connection.
Where can I get support?
- Speak to a trusted adult or family member
- Get peer support and online counselling support from Kooth
- Contact the Suffolk Wellbeing Service – if you’re 18+
- Visit your GP – Anything you talk about will be confidential.
The below websites have good advice about low mood and depression:
- YoungMinds website
- On My Mind
- The Samaritans website – tips to become a better listener to your friends.
- Go to our page ‘If the App Fits‘
Page updated on March 24th, 2023 at 06:38pm