Select Language:
  • Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
  • Colour
  • A
  • A
Information, Advice and sources of support for young people in Suffolk

Accommodation and independence

On this page we outline the following:

  1. Support
  2. Supported accommodation
  3. Social housing
  4. Staying Close and Staying Put
  5. Independence skills

“What support is there around accommodation?”

It is sometimes not safe or in a child or young person’s best interests to live with their biological parents, but this doesn’t mean that they will not be a big and important part of your life, if that is what you want.

When it’s not safe to live at home, there are many other accommodations to choose from, with varying levels of support. These are outlined below, but talk to your PA or SW if you want to understand more.

We also have a Housing Adviser who works within our team, she is always striving to create accommodation options for our young people and also importantly, preventing homelessness when things don’t go to plan. It happens!

The types of accommodation you may live include:

Supported accommodation

From the age of 16 you access supported accommodation, also called HRS (housing related support) accommodation, this is where you have your own room and share facilities such as kitchen and bathroom. You will have a support worker at this accommodation who you will meet with weekly to progress your independent skills and get support with anything that may be arising for you.

In some supported accommodations there is an area for care leavers. Take a look here;

Social housing

We can also support young people to access social housing post 18, by registering on the local housing register. We can only support this application when we feel confident a young person will manage the expectations of their own home. Its important to say that there is a national shortage of council houses, especially one bedroom flats, that are ideal for our young people. So sadly some care leavers can wait for years for a council house.

“I’d like to stay with my foster carer or at my children’s home!”

Staying Put and Staying Close are two helpful schemes which help young people stay in their foster placement longer or remain in contact with a worker from their Children’s home for some time.

Staying Close – Staying Close project has been set up to support those young people moving on from Children’s homes or coming into care late. The project aims to find housing for the young person locally, and ensure their key workers (from the children’s home) can continue to work with them through this period and until they are settled.

Staying Put  – Staying Put is a great scheme for those in foster care. For some care leavers their foster family can very much become their new family where they feel safe and supported. The Staying Put scheme, supports care leavers to remain in their foster care placement after turning 18 years of age and up until their 21st birthday if that is their wish and in their best interests.

Watch the video below of young care leavers talking about the ‘Staying Close’ scheme.Staying close video

I need to brush up on my independence skills!”

When thinking about housing, we also need to think about independence skills. Whether you are in foster care or supported housing, you should be being supported to stick that washing machine on yourself and take your turn to cook. Its really important that you have these skills ready and waiting for when you may be living life more independently.

Are there new skills you want to learn? Ask your PA or SW for help.

Share this

Page updated on April 4th, 2024 at 11:10am