Running away from home
If you feel that you need to run away try to talk to someone about why you want to leave home. You can get free and confidential advice at ChildLine by calling 0800 1111.
Or visit the ChildLine website for other ways of getting help and advice: www.childline.org.uk
Why do young people run away from home?
Some of the reason why a young person may leave home include:
- arguments with a parent or other relative
- abuse or violence at home
- worries about money and debt
- being thrown out of their home by a parent or carer
- problems with drugs or alcohol.
Unfortunately young people may decide quickly to leave home without thinking about things like:
- where they will go.
- where they will sleep.
- how they will get access to money.
- the effect their decision will have on their family and friends.
This is where the bigger problems start.
Where can you turn to for help?
- Get advice from the Missing People website