Opportunities for young people with additional needs
The Local Offer
To see what support and provision is available, and search for services for young people with special educational needs and disabilities, have a look at the Suffolk Local Offer website - www.suffolklocaloffer.org.uk
You can also find out what it means for you on our Local Offer page
Post 16 options
The video on the right explains about some of the support available for young people with additional needs, with advice on the options available after leaving school.
The guides below provide information, advice and guidance on the provision available for 16+ young people with special educational needs and disabilities.
So if you have been receiving SEN support at school or have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, they explain about the types of support available, learning routes and qualification levels, and funding options.
- Suffolk SEND 16+ Transitions Guide - this is a new guide written for local young people and their parents/carers about how to prepare for, and the support available for making a transition. This could be a transition in education and training, health services, into adult social care services or being supported in the community. It's published on the Suffolk Local Offer website
- GOV.UK - for leaflets with information about the SEND reforms
Would you like to get involved in changing services for disabled young people?
There are groups of disabled young people coming together to talk about their experiences of using services.
This is called the SEND Young Person's Network - SEND means special educational needs and disabilities.
When they meet up and get to know each other, they also talk about what could be changed and made better.
So if this sounds interesting and you would like the chance to give your feedback, take a look at our SEND Young Person's Network page and find how to get involved.
More sources of information and support
- National Careers Service - information on website, but young people can also contact via text, phone and email
- Activities Unlimited – information for children and young people with SEND and their parents/carers about short breaks and respite services
- Mencap Employment Services - Service offering young people with SEND 16-24 support, work opportunities and training before and during employment or placement.